one woman's journey toward the city of light ... and all the random stops along the way

jeudi, octobre 27, 2005

So long, Ms. Miers.

Just when I started to see the upside of the low standard set by the Miers nomination...

Having written off law school, I'd almost given up my adolescent dream of becoming a Supreme Court justice. Then Miers' story came along, and I thought, surely, if she can get nominated, there's still hope for me! Maybe I won't even need to get a freakin' JD! (The $100 grand I spent on my graduate degree being a major deterrant to any pursuit of legal studies.)

...then the unthinkable happens, and Miers withdraws her nomination. In the letter she sent to Dubya, Miers claims that she didn't want to jeopardize the independence of the Executive branch. Yeah, uh-huh, sure. We all know that the Republican senators weren't too keen on the good counselor. My goodness, Trent Lott has already written her out of the history books: "In a month, who will remember the name Harriet Miers?" he was quoted as saying in an AP article on the matter.

As an aside, Language Arts teachers (and my former sixth grade students--skilled as they were at the art of peer-reviewing) will take note of the grammatical error in the first paragraph of Ms. Miers' letter. ;)